All Contributors
• 8/1/2015

Talos character page

Hi, I just joined this wiki, after adding a lot of content to Talos' character page. I would appreciate if anyone have any sort of critique of how I could have made it better.

Also, hello everyone! Nice to meet you all.

0 8
  • Upvote
  • Reply
0
• 8/1/2015
Almkrona wrote:
Hi, I just joined this wiki, after adding a lot of content to Talos' character page. I would appreciate if anyone have any sort of critique of how I could have made it better.

Also, hello everyone! Nice to meet you all.

Super-cool that you joined. :) 

In terms of what can be improved, these are the only things I can see: 

  • Notation. We probably need to work on a notation image set we can use. If we could use something like what Shoryuken wiki use, that'd be great. (Though the way you did it is still nice and clear.)
  • Tone. The strategy section could probably be written to be a bit more of a formal (less casual) tone. I tend to write very casually in general, but the tone used for wikis is more descriptive, like you're describing the properties of something. E.g. You wrote:

"While Talos is a beast on the offense, with highly damaging combos and powerful resets, he's severely lacking in defense. He's slow, and his only move that his immediately armored on start-up is his Forward Heavy, so he is very weak if pressure. His only real defense is his naturally high health."

I'd perhaps write it like this:

"Overview
Talos has a high amount of health and strong offensive ability due to his high damage combos and ability to reset.


However, he is fairly slow and has low defensive abilities. Unlike other characters, his Forward Heavy is the only move that provides him with armour during the start-up animation. This lack of armouring makes him more susceptible to attacks from his opponent than the rest of the cast—especially from rushdown characters like [insert character names]."

We could probably clarify what "resets" are better. I don't understand resets well enough to write it any more simply, though in general, it's good if people don't need a glossary or prior fighting game experience to understand what they read. We can still use fighting game terms--just have to use them in a way that is easy understand.


  • Referencing (maybe). Though I'm not even sure how or if wikis reference information that comes from inside games. Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

All of that said, I in no way want to make you think that what you did is lacking; it's really good! 

Wikis are a lot about putting something up, seeing how it looks, then making decisions (either yourself, or talking with other people) and iterating from there. It doesn't have to be perfect, and things are always evolving. Also, sometimes you have to put something up to see how it looks.

What you did is a great start that we can continue to build on. 


When you say "100/75(175)" do you mean "first hit is 100, then next is 75, for total of 175?

0
• 8/1/2015

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to clean it up a bit to make it look a bit more formal and easy to read, once I get around to it.

If a fairly complex terms needs to be used, I can go ahead and link it towards a source that explains what they mean. The Rising Thunder glossary might be good, once it's been updated.

Also yes, when I type something like "100/75(175)", it means "first hit does 100 damage, next hit does 75 damage, for a total of 175". Different fighting game wiki's have various ways of doing this. Shoryuken Wiki have it "50x3*30", which means "3 hits that do 50 damage each, and then another hit for 30". We should probably agree on a standard way of typing out information so not every other page or so goes by different rules. 

0
• 8/2/2015
Almkrona wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to clean it up a bit to make it look a bit more formal and easy to read, once I get around to it.

If a fairly complex terms needs to be used, I can go ahead and link it towards a source that explains what they mean. The Rising Thunder glossary might be good, once it's been updated.

Yep, all that sounds good.

Did you remove what you wrote before?

If so, no need to do that. Better to have it up there for people to benefit from. You can always re-edit it whenever you get time to (or someone else can help edit it, too). 


Almkrona wrote:
Also yes, when I type something like "100/75(175)", it means "first hit does 100 damage, next hit does 75 damage, for a total of 175". Different fighting game wiki's have various ways of doing this. Shoryuken Wiki have it "50x3*30", which means "3 hits that do 50 damage each, and then another hit for 30". We should probably agree on a standard way of typing out information so not every other page or so goes by different rules. 

We should indeed explore a standard. I made a thread for discussing it.

We can begin adding the info, anyway, and can convert it to whatever standard we decide on. 

0
• 8/11/2015

Anyone wanna update the Talos page with the new information for me? I would, but I just got done with making a massive Talos patch analysis. Good lord am I tired. XD

If not, I guess I'll do it tomorrow. These patches come out way too late in the day for me. :P

0
• 8/12/2015
Almkrona wrote:
Anyone wanna update the Talos page with the new information for me? I would, but I just got done with making a massive Talos patch analysis. Good lord am I tired. XD

If not, I guess I'll do it tomorrow. These patches come out way too late in the day for me. :P

I am too busy with other (wiki and non-wiki) related things. 

Maybe other people can help. 

Thanks for taking the lead in trying to get something happening.

1
A FANDOM User
• 8/13/2015

I add the few thing i hope it helps 

0
• 8/13/2015

So, I did a huge thing for a new General Strategy section. Add/remove/change as you all see fit.

Also I put something in the Personality section for funsies.

0
• 8/13/2015

Hot freaking damn. You guys are on fire while I was gone.

The strategy section is hella cool. Good job on that.

Write a reply...